Monday, April 4, 2022

Adding some "Curb Appeal"

Orlando absolutely hated the color of our front daoor, I kind of liked - it  needed freshening up.  If we were to change the color, I wanted it to be a cheerful and welcoming color.  I thought the most difficult part would be us agreeing on a color but luckily, we both wanted the same color - a blue/green such as turquoise or teal.  So with a color picked out for some time, you'd think I'd get going on the painting, but, my partner kept asking, "when are you going to paint the front door"?  I would reply, "in the next week or two".  To be honest with you, I was putting it off  -  I was a little nervous I'd mess it up and would need to buy a brand new door to replace it (a little dramatic, don't you think? Knowing full well, that any paint mistakes can be fixed), and I didn't want to deal with all that hard work.  I have watched a couple of videos on YouTube on how to paint a door - clean, putty, sand, sweat profusely, clean, sand, lose my breath, clean, prime, text some friends and go on facebook to avoid continuing, paint, and collapse from exhaustion!  After all that, I was afraid, I'd probably never add a second coat!  Ugh!


With spring upon us, I wanted to pick up some spring items for the house.  So we took a trip to Michael's   While walking through the isles, Orlando spotted the section of DecoArts Americana paints and asked, "isn't this the paint you used on your desk?  Pointing to their Chalky Finish paint.
Five years ago, in desperate need of a larger and more efficient working desk, I fell in love with Pottery Barn's Bedford Desk!  At the time, it was out of our budget.  So I thought I can replicate it with DIY project and searched online for wood file cabinets and paint them.


"Hey look at this," he said as he picked up a bottle of their Curb Appeal paint for doors and shutters.  

picture from DecoArt site

Reading the label,  it says, Curb Appeal is a quick drying outdoor semi-gloss acrylic paint that does not require sanding, primer or sealer and is specially formulated to work on wood or metal doors, shutters, railings, mailboxes, flower pots and more.  The paint is durable, resist water, scuffs and fading.  It comes in a 16oz bottle that DecoArt claims is enough for two coats of paint on both sides of the door, approximately 48sq ft, with a little more for touchups.  At $14 (back then) a bottle and easy to use, we decided to give it a try.  It costs less than a gallon of paint and  since you don't really need a gallon of paint, it's less wasteful, too.

Curb Appeal paint comes in 21 interchangeable colors but as I mentioned above we wanted a green blue paint.  luckily, their color, Harbor Blue, was just the color we wanted and we bought it.




HOW TO USE

Shake well. Clean surface thoroughly. Tape off areas you don't want paint on or remove hardware (yeah, I wasn't going to do that). Use a 2” angled brush to apply paint in the direction of each panel and grain. Start with the recessed and detailed areas first. Smooth out any drips. Finish with continuous brush strokes over the panel surface. 

for additional and more detailed instructions, visit the DecoArt website, HERE.




The color isn't as bright as you see in this picture.  However, it's not as dark as in the color chart above.


We both took turns painting when the other got tired and the whole process went very easily.  We are both happy with the color we chose and it's results. 



MY THOUGHTS ON THE PAINT
  • As claimed, it did not need to be primed.  It covered the dark green very well and it does not bleed through.
  • As claimed, it does dry fast.  We started around noon and finished both coats of paint by 4.  The paint was dry and not tacky to the touch a little over an hour later.  It does dry a bit darker than when wet.  Notice the area below the bottom left raised paneling, there is a lighter spot.  That is because I noticed a spot where we missed and I did a touch up before taking the picture.
  • The paint has a creamy consistency (neither thick or watery), goes on smoothly and a little bit goes a long way.  I definitely recommend.

If you are looking to paint your front door, shutters, or railings, I highly recommend this paint!  If you can't find it at your local Michael's store or just want the convenience of shopping on line, you can find it on Amazon!

(paid affiliated link)

Happy painting and happy spring!

PS. I will have part 2 of my Reinventing Dennis post, read here, soon!

Dennis
 
Dennis DelBene
Owner, The Scented Home
www.thescentedhomeco.com

No comments:

Post a Comment